Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Midnight Idea

Have you ever had a night where you couldn't sleep because your brain just couldn't shut down? I had one of those nights back in July. It was a long, sleepless kind of night. I maybe got 3 hours of sleep because my brain would not shut down, but for good reason.  I had a great idea!  I'll give a little recap on what led to my midnight idea. 

Back in July, I had a huge deadline for work.  It was a large, multi-office pursuit for a planning IDIQ contract for the Department of Veterans Affairs.  I'm shuttering right now just thinking about it.  It was a very stressful deadline and it almost led me to quitting my job. I was stressed, and my only outlet was the gym...when I actually made it to the gym.  So a couple weeks passed by and then comes my midnight idea. I realized that I did not have a means of being creative anymore.  And I needed a creative outlet.  All my life, I have had some type of art form that has allowed me to be creative and expressive from ballet to art classes.  I realized I needed to bring art back in to my life.  I needed to take ballet classes again, and I needed to do something fun besides work and the gym.

That night I was up for hours coming up with all sorts of ideas for future crafts. I knew it was time for me to get my hands dirty with paint, ink, and glue. It's been a couple months since my midnight idea, but it has brought me to where I am now with my letterpress.  During the week, I can't wait to get home from work to do something related to my letterpress hobby. It's been fun, I now have one creative outlet - making stationery cards for myself and family and friends.  Next up is getting back into ballet.

No comments:

Post a Comment